On July 13, 2016 at 5:35 p.m., the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a traffic complaint regarding a motor vehicle weaving all over the highway at varying speeds and attempting to pass other motor vehicles on the right. The motor vehicle was located on Highway 17 in Bruce Mines and attempts were made to stop the motor vehicle. The motor vehicle continued travelling eastbound and eventually lost control east of Bruce Mines near Garden Bay Road, coming to rest partially in the ditch.
As a result of the investigation, Doug Lorne BECKETT, 54 years of age, from Aweres Township, Ontario, was arrested and charged with:
- Driving While Ability Impaired – Motor Vehicle (Drugs), contrary to section 253(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 249(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- Possession of a Schedule Il Substance – Cannabis Marihuana under 30 grams, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act;
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act and;
- Flight while Pursued by Police Officer, contrary to section 249.1(1) of the Criminal Code
The accused was released on a Promise to Appear and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Blind River, on October 6, 2016.