At 12:15 OPP issued a media release stating that Hwy 17 east of Sault Ste Marie to Thessalon has been opened.
- Due to weather as well as transportation closures, Group Health Centre has chosen to rebook all scheduled appointments after 12:30pm today, and will close most of our services at that time. If you have an existing appointment, you should receive a call shortly to schedule an alternate appointment. Scheduled procedures in Obstetrics/Gynaecology and Surgery will still proceed if patients are comfortable attending. Patients will be contacted directly to determine if they would prefer to reschedule. For those with prescription refill needs, the Group Health Centre Pharmacy will remain open until 4 p.m. today. Thank you for your understanding, and stay safe out there today.
- Employment Solutions SSM is closed for remainder of the day and will reopen tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. for regular hours.
- Due to weather conditions, Algoma Public Health’s Sault Ste. Marie office will remain closed for the rest of today, December 15, 2016. If you had an appointment, you will receive a phone call with a new appointment date and time. Please note: If you were scheduled for a TB test reading this afternoon, please come to the APH office Friday morning for your reading.
- The SOAR Chapter 7-USW meeting, scheduled for 1:30 today at the Elks Hall on Bat Street is cancelled. A reschedule date has not been made.
At 9:57 OPP issued a media release stating that Highway 17 was now open from Heyden (Hwy 556) to Goulais (Hwy 552). Highway 17 remains closed from Goulais (Hwy 552) to Wawa.
MyWawa did drive from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa yesterday and the wind and blowing snow made it so that visibilty was extremely poor at times. Sault Ste. Marie Police Services did ask that if you didn’t have to be on the roads – don’t. That would apply in any poor weather conditions!
- the Take 5 scheduled for tonight at the Holiday Inn Express has been cancelled due to weather. We look forward to seeing you at our January Take 5.
- Mane Street Salon and Spa’s Wellness Centre (626 Queen Street East) Now Closed for Today and Classes Cancelled
- The letters to Orazietti (hydro one) event this morning has been cancelled
- Due to the winter storm, Community Living Algoma, all our locations (community supports, office and employment supports) are closed and staff are not to report to work. Staff associated with residential supports are expected to report as per their scheduled shifts.
- Full Day Closure: Social Services; Ontario Works, Housing Services, Community Child Care and Administration Offices will be Closed all-day December 15th
- Algoma University in Sault Ste. Marie will remain closed for the remainder of December 15th due to inclement weather. All exams are postponed until a later date. The George Leach Centre is now also closed. Algoma University will reopen tomorrow at 8:30am.
EARLIER (Dec 15, 2016 @ 08:31) – The poor weather in the Algoma District continues for the third day. Highway 17 remains closed between Wawa and Heyden; and has been closed again between Sault Ste. Marie and Thessalon. MyWawa has been told that there are several tractor trailers in the ditch north of Batchawana, and tow trucks are unable to remove them yet because of the poor weather (heavy snow and poor visibility).
The adverse weather and poor road conditions transportation is cancelled for ALL schools in the Sault Ste. Marie and Central Algoma areas.
The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA is still closed until further notice. This includes all offsite Childcare centres.
Algoma Public Health’s Sault Ste. Marie office is closed this morning. Road conditions will be accessed throughout the morning to determine if we’ll open at noon.
The Soup Kitchen Community Centre will be closed today, planning to reopen tomorrow, weather permitting.
Algoma University in Sault Ste. Marie is closed due to inclement weather until 12noon today. 9:00 a.m. exams will be rescheduled. The University will be monitoring the weather and reassess for afternoon exams and operations by 11:30 a.m. The George Leach Centre is open until further notice.
Heart and Stroke office is closed and the Blood Pressure Clinic is cancelled for today.
The Algoma Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic will be closed today, Thursday December 15th due to the inclement weather. All appointments are cancelled, including the evening clinic. Patients with urgent medical concerns are advised to attend SAH emergency department.
The Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority office will be closed this morning due to weather and road conditions. Updates to this closure will be posted on Twitter @ssmrca and Facebook www.facebook.com/ssmrca.
Employment Solutions is closed for the morning due to weather conditions.
Social Services would like to advise residents that their offices will be closed until 12:00 pm noon today, Thursday, December 15th. Closure will be revaluated this afternoon.
Social Services includes: Ontario Works, Housing Services, Community Child Care, and Administration Offices.
Employment Solutions will monitor conditions throughout the morning to determine if we will open at noon. Please continue to monitor College social media for updated information.
Lake Superior State University is also closed for the day.
Baawaating Family Health Team will be closed today, Thursday December 15th. Should you have an urgent medical concern, please report to the SAH emergency department.
Environment Canada is saying that the snow squalls will gradually taper to flurries this morning with an additional 5cm of snow expected. The snow squalls may redevelop tonight as winds become more westerly.