Algoma District School Board (ADSB) is in the consultation process for the 2017-2018 School Year Calendar. It is the expectation that everyone in our school communities will have an opportunity to provide their input to ensure a full response to this consultation.
There are three other District School Boards with whom we coordinate calendars and all four work to a consensus once the consultation process has been completed. The other school boards include Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board (HSCDSB), Conseil scolaire catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (CSCNO) and Conseil scolaire public du Grand Nord de l’Ontario (CSPGNO).
There are 196 potential school days between September 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018. There must be at least 194 school days in a school year calendar of which no more than seven can be professional activity days. Proposed Professional Activity Days are as follows:
- Friday, September 29, 2017 (Professional Activity Day)
- October 27, 2017 (Professional Activity Day)
- Monday, November 27, 2017 (Professional Activity Day)
- Friday, February 2, 2018 (P* – Assessment [Elementary Report Card Preparation] )
- Friday, March 2, 2018 (Professional Activity Day)
- Friday, April 20, 2018 (Professional Activity Day)
- Friday, May 18, 2018 (Professional Activity Day)
- Monday, June 11, 2018 (P* – Assessment [Elementary Report Card Preparation] )
- Monday, June 18, 2018 (P* – Assessment [Elementary Report Card Preparation] )
As part of the consultation process with the other three coterminous Boards, ADSB is looking for feedback on the scheduling of two of the Professional Activity Days (P*):
- The two options for the fifth Professional Day are March 2, 2018 or May 18, 2018
- The two options for the last Professional Activity Day are June 11, 2018 or June 18, 2018.
Students and staff begin classes on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 after Labour Day. The last day of classes for elementary students is June 29, 2018. Staff are in school until June 29, 2018 which is the last day of school. The Ministry of Education has set the Christmas Break from Monday, December 25, 2017 to Friday, January 5, 2018. March Break has been set by the Ministry for the week of March 12 to 16, 2018.
Feedback is requested by Friday, January 27, 2017 and can be provided by visiting our website www.adsb.on.ca. and going to School Calendar or directly through this link.