Families and fishing enthusiasts across Ontario can fish licence-free from Saturday, February 18 through Monday, February 20.
This Family Day weekend, anglers can go ice fishing without a licence, so head out to one of Ontario’s provincial parks that are open during the winter to give it a try. Learn the ropes of ice fishing at one of the many events happening across the province.
Take advantage of the free fishing this weekend to try out a new family activity and enjoy the diversity our lakes and rivers have to offer. Fishing is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and make memories, and Family Day weekend is a great time to introduce a friend or family member to fishing.
– Kathryn McGarry, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry
Recent mild weather may have made ice on many bodies of water unsafe, so be sure to check with local ice hut operators before venturing out and make safety a priority.
- Anglers buy approximately 1 million licenses to fish in Ontario each year.
- This summer, Canadian residents can fish without a licence in Ontario from July 1-9, 2017.
- New anglers can borrow fishing gear for free through the Tackleshare program.
- Check out the Ontario Family Fishing Events website for events near you.
- Pick up the basics of fishing with the Learn to Fish Guide.
- Plan your fishing trip with the Fish ON-Line tool where you can search by lake, type of fish and check zone limits.