Victoria teen’s accidental overdose started with prescription drugs, parents say


VICTORIA — The parents of a Victoria teen who died from an accidental overdose yesterday say they felt trapped by a medical system that didn’t give them a say in their son’s painkiller prescriptions.

Sixteen-year-old Elliot Eurchuk died at his home after taking street drugs his parents believe he was using to help him sleep.

His parents, Rachel Staples and Brock Eurchuck, say their son’s drug use started after he was prescribed opioids for four surgical procedures in the last year.

They say they begged for alternatives, but were told he was old enough to make his own medical decisions.

Staples described her son as a funny kid who loved reading and puns, was an avid reader and loved rugby, soccer, boxing and hiking.

Eurchuk’s school issued a notice of his death to parents.

The Canadian Press


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here