Ontario says Ottawa should pay for the ‘mess’ caused by illegal border crossers

0

TORONTO — The Ontario government says Ottawa is to blame for a housing crisis caused by people crossing the border illegally and should pay all the costs.

A spokesman for Premier Doug Ford said Thursday the federal government has encouraged people to cross into Canada illegally and continues to usher people across the U.S.-Quebec border into Ontario.

“This has resulted in a housing crisis and threats to the services that Ontario families depend on,” Simon Jefferies said in a statement.

“This mess was 100 per cent the result of the federal government, and the federal government should foot 100 per cent of the bills.”

The comments came as Ford prepared to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the Ontario legislature.

The federal government recently pledged to give Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba $50 million to help offset some of the costs incurred due to the influx of asylum seekers illegally crossing the Canada-U.S. border.

The provinces, however, have asked for much more support.

Quebec, which has seen the bulk of asylum seekers arrive this year, has said its costs are closer to $146 million, though that tally includes projections for future expenses. The province is set to receive $36 million from Ottawa.

Ontario has been promised $11 million by the federal government but Toronto Mayor John Tory has said the city alone needs $64 million to recoup costs.

Federal Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen has said the money is meant to help address some of the immediate temporary housing needs in those provinces.

Ontario’s former Liberal government signed an immigration agreement with Ottawa in November of last year.

 

The Canadian Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here