(ELLIOT LAKE, ON) – The East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) remind vehicle owners to lock their unattended vehicles at all times, even in your own driveways. It only takes seconds for a theft to occur. Police do not want you to lose items in your vehicle you worked hard to own.
Items such as loose change, purses and wallets, electronic devices and chargers, or any items of value should be removed from your vehicle whenever you park it for any length of time. If for some reason you must leave these items, conceal them so that they do not tempt “would-be” thieves from taking them.
Police recommend some of these crime prevention strategies to reduce the possibility of being victimized:
Lock your vehicle.
- Don’t leave any valuables in your vehicle in plain view.
- Park your vehicle in a driveway or if you have a garage use it and lock it.
- If you have to leave your vehicle on the street, lock it and park it in a well-lit area.
- Completely close all vehicle windows when parked.
- Engrave expensive accessories so that the thief will have difficulty disposing of them.
- Keep your driver’s license and vehicle registration with you, in your wallet or purse.
- If possible invest in a vehicle alarm system as an extra deterrent measure.
- Never leave your vehicle keys in plain view.
If you happen to be outside after dark and see people in your neighbourhood acting suspiciously, please report it to police. Your neighbourhood may be a target for thefts from vehicles.
More details about preventing auto theft may be found on-line at: www.opp.ca Safeguard your property……Lock it or Lose it!
Any person with information regarding person(s) responsible for this type of incident should immediately contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or their nearest police authority.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or submit information online at http://www.tipsubmit.com where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.