(EAST ALGOMA, ON) – During the month of August, 2018 the East Algoma Detachments of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to numerous calls for service and conducted numerous hours of patrol time. Some of those calls were:
- 68 Property and Vehicle related calls
- 2 vehicle collision related fatalities
- 27 Violent Crime related calls
- 47 Property Crime related calls
- 2 Drug related calls
Inspector Yves Forget, Detachment Commander for the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), wants to ensure everyone has an enjoyable and safe 2018 – 2019 school year.
Motorists should be extra attentive and prepared to stop for school buses from Monday to Friday between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Additionally, please watch for school students walking to and from schools and bus stops. Always give pedestrians the right of way.
Drivers are reminded that failing to stop when meeting or overtaking a school bus is dangerous and could have dire consequences.
When driving on a road without a median:
- drivers travelling in both directions must stop for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing and stop arm out
- when you approach the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance to let children get on or off the bus and cross the road
- when following a school bus, stop 20 meters behind the bus
- don’t move forward until the red lights have stopped flashing or the bus begins to move
Drivers and vehicle owners will be charged if their vehicle illegally passes a stopped school bus. Fines range from $490 to $2000 plus six demerit points for a first offence and from $1000 to $4000, six demerit points and possible jail time up to six months for each subsequent offence.
For further information, please visit: