(ELLIOT LAKE, ON)- On March 13 and March 18, 2019 members from the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) arrested two additional males in relation to the previous weapons investigation. On March 6, 2019, members from the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Crime Unit and Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) arrested and charged two males.
On February 20, 2019, police were called to disturbance in an apartment parking lot on Willoughby Road in Elliot Lake, Ontario. The complainant reported that a male was just pepper sprayed by another male. After police investigation, it was determined that numerous males assaulted another male who was getting in to his car. In addition, the suspect males sent the victim a social media video of them brandishing firearms.
Police arrested and charged two additional males.
Riley BENTZ, 19 years of age, of Elliot Lake, Ontario, was charged with:
- Uttering Threats – Cause Death or Bodily Harm, contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Assault with a Weapon, contrary to section 267(a) of the CC,
- Administer Noxious Thing with Intent – Endanger Life or Cause Bodily Harm, contrary to section 245(a) of the CC,
- Handle Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited device or Ammunition in a Careless Manner, contrary to section 86(1) CC,
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose (Two Counts), contrary to section 88 of the CC.
- Possession of a Prohibited Weapon, contrary to section 92(2) of the CC.
The accused was scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice Bail Court in Blind River, Ontario on March 19, 2019.
A 17-year old male from Elliot Lake, Ontario was charged with:
- Careless Use of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited device or Ammunition, contrary to section 86(1) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 of the CC.
The youth cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA).
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Elliot Lake, Ontario.