The Algoma District School Board is preparing for potential strike action by educational workers who are members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE). The following letter was issued to ADSB families:
The Algoma District School Boardadvises parents that if the Canadian Union of Public Employees(CUPE)engage in a full withdrawal of services beginning Monday, October 7, 2019, to please note the following:
- all schools will remain open/operational;
- there will be no food servicesavailable at White Pines, Superior Heights and Korah secondary schools;
- all daycares and before & after school programswill be in operation;
- all extra-curricular activities outside of the school day and inter-school sports are cancelled;
- no new field trips willbe planned after October 4, 2019;
- parents’ cooperation withensuring students’ lunches are garbage-free or packed with minimal garbage/packaging or asking their children to bring packaging home for disposal is greatly appreciated.
As it remains our commitment to ensure the health and safety of students and staff,this decision will be monitored closely, day byday, as we evaluate all aspects of our operations. If, at any point, we feel the health and/or safety of students and/orstaff is in jeopardy, we may need toalter this decision.
We are pleased that negotiations are resuming provincially and remain hopeful that a negotiated settlement is possible. Please continue to monitor our website for information and/or updates.
We greatly appreciate your continued cooperation and understanding.
Please note that this information does not apply to schools located in Elliot Lake, Serpent Riverand Blind River, as workers at those sites are not CUPE members.