(ESPANOLA, ON) – On November 17, 2019, at approximately 10:43 p.m., a Motorized Snow Vehicle (MSV) failed to stop for an officer of the Manitoulin (Espanola) Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) in the Town of Espanola, Ontario. The MSV was later located in the Town of Espanola.
Further investigation led to the identification of the driver. The driver was charged with the following:
- Fail to stop – flashing red and blue lights contrary to section 17(1) of the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act (MSVA),
- No licence – drive along highway contrary to section 9(1) MSVA,
- Drive – no insurance contrary to section 12(1) MSVA.
Officers wish to remind members of the community that to operate an MSV on a Highway/City Streets (including ditches & crossing), requires the following:
- Permit for the MSV
- Licence/Number Plate
- Proper helmet
- Be 16 years of age with a driver’s licence or Motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence
- Speed limit of 20km/h in zone not greater than 50km/h
- Speed limit of 50km/h in zone greater than 50km/h
- Lights must be turned “on”
- Stop for police officers
Also be mindful of your areas by-laws. Please continue to keep safety a main priority.