Hamilton police say all levels of the force are involved in the investigation into a shooting that left a seven-year-old boy in hospital.
Deputy Chief Frank Bergen says officers were called to a home in the city at 7:53 p.m. on Thursday.
Police say the boy had been in the main level of the house when the suspect fired multiple gunshots into the home from the backyard, a bullet tearing into the child’s body.
Bergen says the boy is in stable condition and with family by his side at hospital.
Police say they believe the home was targeted and the boy an unintended victim.
The force will update the public on the investigation later this morning.
Bergen called the shooting unacceptable and said the public needs to come together and help investigators find the shooter.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the seven-year-old right now who’s in stable condition, but this is the opportunity where we all stand down and say guns don’t belong on our streets,” Bergen told reporters Thursday night at the scene.
“Anybody who sees things, say things, tell us what’s going on, we’re going to be a lot safer if everybody gets involved.”
Bergen said the forensic and K9 units were on scene quickly after the shooting and the guns and gangs squad is also involved in the probe.
The boy is the first person shot in Hamilton this year, but there have been two other shootings with no victims, he said.
Last year, there were 23 people shot and 47 shootings in total.