(BRIDGELAND TOWNSHIP, ON)- On May 27, 2020, shortly after 8:00 p.m., members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were patrolling Highway 129, north of the Town of Thessalon.
Officers observed a small pick-up truck with no front plate. A short time after, police located the pick-up truck on McCallum Road and attempted a traffic stop with negative results. The pick-up truck turned onto Winechimer Road. Police parked their vehicle at the end of an ATV trail on Kens Way and proceeded on foot. At approximately 8:44 p.m., the pick-up was located at the top of a hill on the trail and officers arrested the driver.
As a result of the investigation, Shawn BISAILLON, age 19, from Thessalon First Nation, was charged with:
- Flight from Peace Officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the Criminal Code,
- Operate Motor Vehicle without Insurance, contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act,
- Fail to Stop on Right for Emergency Vehicle, contrary to section 159(1)(a) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA),
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA,
- Drive Motor Vehicle- No Licence, contrary to section 32(1) of the HTA,
- Use Plates Not Authorized for Vehicle, contrary to section 12(1)(d) of the HTA,
- Fail to Apply for Permit on Becoming Owner, contrary to section 11(2) of the HTA,
- Drive Motor Vehicle, Fail to Display Two Plates, contrary to section 7(1)(b)(i) of the HTA, and with
- Having Liquor in Open Container in Other than Licenced Premises, Residence or Private Place, contrary to section 31(2) of the Liquor Licence Act.
The accused is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Blind River on August 6, 2020.