(AWERES TOWNSHIP, ON) – On January 8, 2021 members of the Sault Ste. Marie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), OPP Crime Unit, OPP Canine Unit, OPP Crisis Negotiator, members of the OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Batchewana Police Service responded to a threats complaint in Heyden.
As a result of the investigation John WIGLE, 60 years-old of Heyden has been charged with the following:
- Assault with Intent to Resist Arrest, 270(1)(b) Criminal Code (CC),
- Escape Lawful Custody, 145(1) CC,
- Utter Threats – Cause Death or Bodily Harm, 264.1(1)(a) CC – (five counts),
- Utter Threats – Damage Property, 264.1(1)(b) CC,
- Operation While Prohibited Under the Criminal Code, 320.18(1)(a) CC, and
- Failure to Comply with Release Order – other than to attend court, 145(5)(a) CC (two counts).
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Weekend and Statutory Holiday (WASH) Court at the Ontario Court of Justice in Sault Ste. Marie on January 9, 2021.
Although the interaction required officers to use force to control the accused, no serious injuries were sustained. As a result of this interaction, the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has invoked their mandate and have commenced an investigation. Any further inquiries regarding this investigation must be directed to the SIU media coordinator, Monica Hudon, at [email protected] .