Ontario logs 1,087 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths as York Region lockdown set to lift

0

TORONTO — Ontario is reporting 1,087 new cases of COVID-19 today and 13 new deaths linked to the virus.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says the count includes 344 new cases in Toronto, 156 in Peel Region and 122 in York Region.

Stay-at-home orders in York Region are set to lift Monday when it returns to the province’s colour-coded pandemic response plan at the red level.

But Elliott says on Twitter this morning that “a return to the framework is not a return to normal.”

The provincial framework states that most retailers operating in red zones must limit customers to 50 per cent of regular capacity, while in-person gatherings are capped at five people indoors and 25 outside.

Only Toronto, Peel and the North Bay Parry Sound health unit remain under the stay-at-home order that once applied across the province.

The top public health officials in both Toronto and Peel requested a two-week extension of the measures amid stubbornly high daily case counts, while North Bay is grappling with a local surge in cases tied to a COVID-19 variant first detected in the United Kingdom.

Sunday’s data showed 660 patients are currently in hospital with COVID-19, down from 699 the day before.

But the province said more than 10 per cent of hospitals did not submit data, as is common on weekends.

The province says 277 patients were in intensive care, including 181 on ventilators.

Nearly 48,200 tests were completed.

Elliott adds that as of Saturday night, 556,533 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine had been administered across Ontario.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here