(TARBUTT-TARBUTT ADDITIONAL TOWNSHIP, ON) – On March 30, 2021, East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to numerous break and enters at seasonal dwellings on Range Lights Road, in Tarbutt-Tarbutt Additional Township.
Police attended to learn there was forced entry into numerous dwellings and multiple items stolen. A short time later, a suspicious vehicle was observed in the area and subsequently stopped. After investigation, police arrested and charged two people in the pick-up truck.
Brandon BENNETT, 37 years-old, from Batchewana First Nation was charged with:
- Break, Enter a Place – With Intent to Commit Indictable Offence (Six Counts), contrary to section 348(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Mischief Under $5000, contrary to section 430(4) of the CC,
Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC,
- Possession of Break In Instruments, contrary to section 351(1) of the CC,
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the CC,
- Failure to Comply With Release Order – Other Than to Attend Court, contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CC.
Jason PINE, 31 years-old, from Garden River First Nation, was charged with:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC,
- Possession of Break In Instruments, contrary to section 351(1) of the CC.
The driver was suspended and the vehicle had plates not authorized, and was therefore towed and impounded.
The accused persons are scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Blind River on May 6, 2021.